“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me. 6but showing love to thousands who love me and keep my commandments.”
There is more written about this commandment in the Bible than any other. It is a stern and searching commandment. It has been aptly stated that the commandment is the prohibition of the worship of false forms. The first commandment says to worship God exclusively, and the second commandment to worship God spiritually.
When Idols Are Made, The Creator Is Blended With Creation: vv.4-6
Three Consequences of Idol Worship:
1. Idol worship will disillusion you. Jeremiah 10:14
2. Idol worship will deceive you. Exodus 14:3
3. Idol worship will dominate you. Psalm 115:8
Idolatry Is Our Failure to Preserve God’s Image in His World: vv.4-6
1. God gives us dominion over the earth and we
2. God calls us to reach out neighbors with love , and we fight them.
3. God offers us an opportunity to testify on his behalf and we deny who we are.
“I lift up my eyes to the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.”
True Worship Results in Unfathomable Blessings and Rewards: vv.5-6
1. The blessing of a fulfilled life. Psalm 37:4
2. The freedom of a guilt-free life. John 8:31-32
3. The sweet reward of becoming more and more like Him .
II Corinthians 3:18
The dearest idol I have known
What e’er that idol be
Help me to tear it from thy throne
To worship only Thee.