“To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens, no one can shut; and what he shuts, no one can open. 8I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.”
To what kind of Christian, to what kind of church, does the future belong?
OPEN DOORS FOR THE 21st CENTURY CHURCH: v. 9
” I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars and I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.”
1. Effective leadership.
2. Team ministry.
3. Cultural connectedness.
4. Authentic community.
5. Kingdom collaboration.
THE FUTURE DOES NOT BELONG TO. . . vv.10-11
” Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth.11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.”
1. a church that is careless. Ephesus (Revelation.2:1-11)
2. a church that compromises . Pergamos (Rev. 2:12-17)
3. a church that is blind to its own sin . Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29)
4. a church that is lazy . Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6)
5. to a church that is closed to the real world. Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22)
THE FUTURE BELONGS TO. . . v.12
” Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.”
1. a church that relies upon God’s grace and wisdom . Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11)
2. a church that is strong in loving relationships . Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13)
3. a church filled with intellectual spontaneity and fruitfulness .
4. to a church that has the courage to take giant steps through Open Doors!