“You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
As Christians, we are in warfare against Satan. While it is true, Jesus defeated Satan on the Cross, it is also true that Satan never ceases his attack on God’s people.
I believe Satan has five great lies he uses to deceive believers:
GREATEST LIE NO. 1:
God Withholds Good Things From Us. Genesis 3:4-5
“‘You will not surely die,’ the serpent said to the woman. ‘For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’”
1. Satan tempts us to believe God’s goodness obligates Him to gratify our desires immediately.
2. God’s plans are always aimed at our best over the long haul.
GREATEST LIE NO. 2:
Trust in the Deity of Self. Psalm 20:7
“Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.”
1. Satan tempts us to trust numbers rather than God’s provision . I Chronicles 21:1
2. Satan wants us to fall victim to the lie of self-reliance . Philippians 4:19
GREATEST LIE NO. 3:
God’s People Will Never Suffer. Matthew 16:22-23
“Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. ‘Never, Lord!’ he said. ‘This shall never happen to you!’ Jesus turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.’”
1. Satan tempts us to believe nothing bad will ever happen to us as Christians.
2. Satan’s lie sows self-pity that blooms into bitterness of heart.
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
GREATEST LIE NO. 4:
Money Brings Happiness. Matthew 4:8-9
“Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. ‘All this I will give you,’ he said, ‘if you will bow down and worship me.’”
1. Greed will take our focus off God.
2. Listening to Satan will short-circuit God’s plan for blessing. Malachi 3:10
“God will bless us with earthly riches. As He does, we need to hold them with an open hand before Him.”
GREATEST LIE NO. 5:
Forgiveness Is Impossible. 2 Corinthians 2:7, 11
“Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.” . . . “in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.”
1. Refusal to forgive invites bitterness into our hearts.
2. Unforgiveness divides people and kills fellowship.
3. The road to forgiveness begins with remembering how much we’ve been forgiven.
“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32).