“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”
Every human being has four basic needs. Every need involves the Golden Rule.
RULE ONE: EVERYONE WANTS TO BE ENCOURAGED. 1 Samuel 20:42
“Jonathan said to David, ‘Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the LORD, saying, “The LORD is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’” Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town.”
1. Speak kindly to everyone.
2. Say something good about everyone.
3. Search for something positive in everyone.
4. Help people succeed by adding value to their lives.
RULE TWO: EVERYONE WANTS TO BE APPRECIATED. Acts 15:40-41
“but Paul chose Silas and left, commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.”
1. We need people in our lives.
2. Someone else knows more than you know.
3. Everyone has a cross to carry and a burden to bear.
4. Give respect and appreciation to everyone.
RULE THREE: EVERYONE WANTS TO BE FORGIVEN. Colossians 3:13
“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
1. Life is an echo. What you send out you get back.
2. Forgive without qualifications.
3. Learn from a failed relationship.
4. Follow the model of Jesus Christ.
“We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ” -1 John 1:3.
RULE FOUR: EVERYONE WANTS TO BE UNDERSTOOD. Proverbs 14:22
“Do not those who plot evil go astray? But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness.”
1. Ask God to make you a likeable person.
2. Take the trust risk: Say, “I love you.”
3. Seek to understand the misunderstood.
4. Give without expectations.
“Give people a piece of your heart, not a piece of your mind”