“For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.”
Definition of Talent
The abilities, powers, and gifts bestowed upon a man: natural endowments <the stewardship of our time, talent, and treasure> <the talents which God has given you as a divine trust> -Webster’s Third New International Dictionary
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SPIRITUAL GIFT AND TALENT? I Peter 2:9
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”
1. Natural talent is common to everyone
2. Spiritual gifts are reserved exclusively for the Christian.
“A spiritual gift is a special attribute given by the Holy Spirit to every member of the body of Christ according to God’s grace for use within the context of the Body.” -C. Peter Wagner
DISCOVERING SPIRITUAL GIFTS AND TALENTS IS A MUST FOR EVERY BELIEVER: 2 Timothy 1:6
“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.”
“Talent that is used is multiplied.” -Steve Weber
1. Discovering your spiritual gift helps you understand God’s will for your life.
2. Discovering your spiritual gift helps you understand how the Holy Spirit works through you.
3. Discovering your spiritual gift brings great joy and satisfaction.
4. Discovering your spiritual gift raises your self-esteem level.
“The man who is born with a talent that he was meant to use finds his greatest happiness in using it.”
USING SPIRITUAL GIFTS AND TALENTS HONORS GOD AND BRINGS UNITY TO HIS CHURCH: Matthew 7:24-27
“Too many people make cemeteries of their lives by burying their talents.” -G. B. Williamson
1. The biblical role of the pastoral staff is to equip believers for service. Acts 6.
2. The role of the laity is to fulfill the calling of God in service to others. 1 Peter 4:11
“We have nothing to do with what gifts we possess, or how many. But we have everything to do with how we use them.” -John C. Maxwell