It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress of the United States introduced the world to the Declaration of Independence and separated the American Colonies from the British Empire. Today, we celebrate that freedom and the freedom that comes via the liberating grace of God.
Our National Freedom Was Obtained at a Great Price:
1. It involved separation from the past .
2. It involved sacrifice from the leaders .
3. Liberty and freedom should not be taken for granted .
Our Spiritual Freedom Was Obtained at a Great Price: Galatians 5:13
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
1. Jesus died for our liberation . 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
2. Jesus came to set us free . Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Freedom means I have been set free to become all that God wants me to be.
Our National and Spiritual Freedom Must Be Protected and Maintained: Galatians 5:14
The entire law is summed up in a single command: Love your neighbor as yourself.
1. We are responsible to God and country. Romans 13:7
Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
2. We are protectors of God’s creation and nation. Matthew 22:20-21
and he asked them, Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?
21 Caesar’s,they replied.
Then he said to them, Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.