1 Chronicles 16:29
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name. Bring an offering and come before him; worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.
The dumbing down of worship has caused worship wars and much confusion within the body of Christ. The passage before us is a sterling reminder of how we are to worship God.
Lifestyle Worship That Involves Clean and Holy Living Honors God: v. 29a
Give to the Lord the glory. . .(nkjv).
1. We must give God the things that are important to us. Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
2. We must value our relationship with God. 1 Corinthians 2:2
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
Giving Our Best Honors God in the Church: v. 29b
Bring an offering. . .
1. Joy and generosity are twins. 1 Peter 1:3-9
2. Giving initiates the cycle of victorious living. Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Holiness Involves Seeing God Face to Face: v. 29c
. . .and come before him. . .
1. Our lives must be marked by our closeness to God. Exodus 33:20
But, he said, you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.
2. Our lives must be marked by true confession . 1 John 1:7-9
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
3. Our hearts must be filled with the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 5:18
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
Worship Requires the Practice of Holiness in Daily Life: v. 29d
Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness (nkjv).
1. Show the glory of God. Acts 7:55
But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.
2. Demonstrate the change we’ve experienced in our hearts. Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is his good, pleasing and perfect will.