“. . . I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.”
The life of David is one of the most inspiring and instructive narrations in the Word of God. His character is more fully portrayed than any other person in the Old Testament.
David Had A Heart for God: I Kings 9:4
“As for you, if you walk before me in integrity of heart and uprightness, as David your father did, and do all I command and observe my decrees and laws,”
1. He had an open heart. Psalm 26:1-2
“Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. 2Test me, O Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;”
2. He had a broken heart. Psalm 51:17
“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
3. He had a truthful heart. Psalm 15:1-2
“Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? 2He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart.”
4. He had a clean heart. Psalm 24:3-4
“Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? 4He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.”
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24).
David Was Interested in Spiritual Growth: I Kings 11:4
“As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been.”
1. He had a testimony of faith in God. Psalm 40:1-3 “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. 2He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. 3He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.”
2. He had a daily walk with God. Psalm 101:2
“I will be careful to lead a blameless life- when will you come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart.”
I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever (Psalm 86:12).
3. He had a desire to fellowship with God. Psalm 40:8
“I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”
4. He had a deep reverence for God. Psalm 86:12
“I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.”
5. He had an obedient walk with God. I Kings 15:5
“For David had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord and had not failed to keep any of the Lord’s commands all the days of his life-except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.”
I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders (Psalm 9:1).